Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science I
- Textbook (alt if above is down)
- Homework Templates Google Drive Folder
- ICS 141 Course Policies & Grading
- Math & Sciences Department Policies
- Class Time: Tues & Thurs 9:15 am – 10:30 am
- Class Location: Koki’o 207
- CRN: 33361
- Prerequisites: Qualification for MATH 135 or consent of instructor.
- Credit Hours: 3
Instructor: Lisa Miller
- Office: Koki’o 109 C
- Across the hall from the elevator.
- Office Hours:
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Mon & Wed
- 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm Tues & Thurs
- Or by appointment.
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Phone (808) 734-9388
- Better, unofficial STEM Program website: http://kccstem.com
- Official STEM Program website: http://stem.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/
ICS 141 provides the general mathematical foundation for the understanding of computer science concepts. It is intended for Computer Science majors and others interested in learning about the mathematics for Computer Science.
ICS 141 includes logic, sets, functions, matrices, algorithmic concepts, mathematical reasoning, recursion, counting techniques, and probability theory.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze issues and apply mathematical problem solving skills to plan courses of action in decision-making situations.
- Solve problems by using basic mathematical formal logic, proofs, recursion, analysis of algorithms, sets, combinatorics, relations, functions, matrices, and probability.
- A minimum grade of B is required in this course to transfer it to UH Manoa’s ICS program.
- A minimum grade of C is required to progress to ICS 241 at Kapi`olani CC.
- This semester we will use an open-source online textbook.
- Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
- Edited by L.J. Miller
- Hard copy, Kindle .mobi or .pdf versions are available upon request.