Introduction to Computer Science I
- Class Schedule
- Course Policies and Grading
- Math & Science Dept Policies
- Java API : http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/
- Google Java Style Guide: https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html
- Javadoc on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javadoc
- Coding practice on CodingBat: http://codingbat.com/java
- Class Time: 1:00 pm – 2:15 pm
- Days: Mon & Wed
- Class Location: Koki’o 207A (How to find Kokio 207A)
- CRN: 31789
- Prerequisite: Qualification for MATH 135 or consent of instructor.
- Credit Hours: 3
Instructor: Lisa J. Miller, MS
- Office: Koki’o 109 C
- Across the hall from the elevator.
- Office Hours:
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Mon & Wed
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm Tues & Thurs
- Or by appointment.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (808) 734-9388
- Better, unofficial STEM Program website: http://kccstem.com
- Official STEM Program website: http://stem.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/
ICS 111 offers an overview of the fundamentals of computer science emphasizing problem solving, algorithm development, implementation, and debugging/testing using an object-oriented programming language.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Use an appropriate programming environment to design, code, compile, run and debug computer programs.
- Demonstrate basic problem solving skills: analyzing problems, modeling a problem as a system of objects, creating algorithms, and implementing models and algorithms in an object-oriented computing language.
- Illustrate basic programming concepts such as program flow and syntax of a high-level general purpose language and basic security practices.
- Demonstrate working with primitive data types, strings and arrays.
Note: A minimum grade of B is required in this course to progress to ICS 211.
No textbook is required.
This free online book is recommended and suggested readings noted in the schedule as “Book”:
- Introduction to Programming Using Java, 7th Edition. Author: David J. Eck; Website: http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/javanotes7/index
Other recommended references:
- Free online book Java Programming Wikibook. Website: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming
- Java For Everyone: Late Objects, Second Edition. Author: Cay Horstmann; ISBN 978-1118063316