Introduction to Computer Science II
- Class Schedule
- Course Policies and Grading
- Math & Science Dept Policies
- Java API : http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/
- Github: https://github.com
- Git Cheatsheet
- Google Java Style Guide: https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html
- Javadoc on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javadoc
- Coding practice on CodingBat: http://codingbat.com/java
- Class Time: Tues & Thurs 11:35 – 12:50 pm
- Class Location: Koki’o 207A (How to find Koki’o 207A)
- CRN: 31792
- Prerequisite: A grade of B or higher in ICS 111, or consent of instructor.
- Credit Hours: 3
- Note: A minimum grade of B is required in this course to progress to ICS 212.
Instructor: Lisa Miller, M.S.
- Office: Koki’o 109 C
- Across the hall from the elevator.
- Office Hours
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Mon & Wed
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm Tues & Thurs
- Or by appointment.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (808) 734-9388
- Better, unofficial STEM Program website: http://kccstem.com
- Official STEM Program website: http://stem.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/
ICS 211 reinforces and strengthens problem-solving skills using abstract data types and introduces software development practices. ICS 211 emphasizes the use of searching and sorting algorithms and their complexity, recursion, object-oriented programming, and data structures.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use and implement abstract data types such as lists, stacks, queues, and trees.
- Select the appropriate searching or sorting algorithm based on the algorithm’s behavior.
- Develop recursive algorithms and programs.
- Use standard libraries or packages as well as advanced object-oriented programming techniques (polymorphism, inheritance, and encapsulation).
- Produce robust and secure programs using exception handling and extensive program testing.
Suggested readings are in the class schedule
- OpenDSA Data Structures and Algorithms
- Java Programming Wikibook.
Other Free Online Textbooks:
- Introduction to Programming Using Java, 7th Edition.
Author: David J. Eck
- Open Data Structures (in Java), Edition 0.1G.
Author: Pat Morin
- Java JDK 8
- jGRASP (or other development environment/text editor)
- jUnit and Checkstyle – unit testing and style checking plugins for jGrasp.
- jar files on class Laulima – Resources
- Atom Java IDE